Whether you have just begun exploring treatment options and advanced technologies in knee surgery, or you have already decided with your orthopedic surgeon to have total knee replacement (TKR), the more you know, the better you can understand your options.
Knee Replacement surgery is not rare. Approximately 650,000 knee replacement procedures are performed annually in the US. This number is projected to increase to 3.5 million procedures per year by 2030.2
While everyone is different, often people experience the following symptoms when considering total knee replacement3:
- Knee pain that restricts work, recreation and everyday activities
- Persistent pain and swelling in the knee that isn’t relieved by more conservative treatment methods, such as physical therapy, medication or reduced activity
- Knee deformity (bowing in and out of knee)
- X-rays that reveal advanced arthritis or other joint degeneration
SAFE AND COST-EFFECTIVE TREATMENT TO REDUCE KNEE PAIN
If you’re considering having knee replacement surgery, you have a big decision to make, and it’s reassuring to know that postoperatively, many patients say they wish they hadn’t waited so long. Knee replacement surgery has been shown to be a safe and cost-effective treatment for alleviating pain, enhancing the quality of life and restoring function for patients who haven’t responded to non-surgical therapies.4 Patients return to most of their daily normal activities within three to six weeks after surgery.3
WHO USES VERASENSE IN KNEE REPLACEMENT SURGERY?
- Kurtz SM, Ong KL, Lau E, Bozic KJ. Impact of the economic downturn on total joint replacement demand in the United States. J Bone Joint Surg Am. 2014 Apr 16;96(8):624-30.
- Kurtz S, Ong K, Lau E., et al. Projections of primary and revision hip and knee arthroplasty in the united states from 2005 and 2030. J Bone Joint Surg Am. 2007. 89 (4); 780-785.
- AAOS Website, https://orthoinfo.aaos.org/en/treatment/total-knee-replacement/
- National Institutes of Health Consensus Development Conference Statement: Total Knee Replacement 12/10/03.